Monday, November 5, 2012
Looks Can Be Deceiving.....
Photoshop.... greatest deceiver since magic tricks. Take anything and turn it into something completely different. Speaking of magic tricks, I recently saw the Illusionist. It is an amazing movie that makes you sit back and think. I loved that it taught the message that some things are perceived incorrectly. Even though there was tons of evidence to support their assumption, they still made the wrong assumption. This is exactly what happens in Media, airbrushing, special effects, etc. What incorrect assumptions are we making? What untruths are the media convincing us of? Some things we obviously don't believe in. For example, can an orange tree grow in the space of five minutes, probably not. What about simpler yet profound things? Do they effect our beliefs about beauty, occupations, violence, love, education, and weight? Studies have shown that they do. Maybe we need to realize that we are believing too much in illusions. It is interesting to note that even in the movie Eisenheim tells everyone that everything he does is an illusion, yet they still believe in the illusion. What illusions are you believing in?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love that movie, still confusing when I think about it. You are right about photoshop though, even though technology is getting better, I am also getting better at telling what is fake and what is not. It's really sad how they make some women look unnatural, yet it is accepted as beauty.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree...the media has gone way too crazy when it comes to deceiving us about real beauty. But I have to admit that I'm grateful for photoshop because it really helped beautify my wedding announcements :) Hahaha
ReplyDelete